After having moved my blog from WordPress to Hugo, my next objective was to have it built and deployed automatically to my own webhosting server whenever I push a commit to GitHub. The main reasons to use this process are these:
- I want that any change or addition to the website are as easy to deploy as a simple git commit;
- I want my builds to be reproducible;
- I want a clean state for each build;
- I don’t want to be dependent on an external hosting service (no lock-in);
- I don’t want to have to worry about a computer crash or about my own Internet connection.
I use this process for about a year to deploy the MoodleBox documentation website (about 200 pages), and for a few days for deploying this blog (more than 600 pages!). It works great 👍